You see tender, small brinjals at the vegetable mart????? Grab some of them and try this stuffed brinjal fry, you would love them. I like the purple brinjals, though you can try with green as well. There are many variations to the stuffing recipe, but I'm sure that this is one of the best my mom used to make and I learnt it from her.
10 ----- SMALL BRINJALS
1 cup ----- GRATED COCONUT
3 ----- GREEN CHILLIES
1/2tsp ---- FENNEL SEEDS or SAUNF
1 piece --- GINGER
1 pod ---- GARLIC
2 ----- SHALLOTS
- Grind coconut with fennel seeds, green chillies, ginger, garlic, shallots, coriander leaves, curry leaves and a little salt to a smooth paste. Do not add water
- Wash and dry the brinjals. Slit from the top leaving the stem as it is (see pic)
- Stuff the brinjals tight with the ground masala, filling all the corners and top. Keep all of them readily stuffed.
You can tie the stuffed brinjal with a clean thick thread or fix together with a tooth pick. I didn't have any, still went ahead. Any method you use, be prepared for a little filling to sweep out to the oil while frying
- Fry the brinjals in batches on a slow medium flame. Deep frying is not required so keep the oil level as low as possible
- Slowly turn down on all sides so that the stuffing becomes light brown and the brinjals are evenly cooked. Drain and remove from oil
Stuffed brinjal fry goes well with hot rice and any curry. I relish it with curd rice!